How to extend SAP Commerce Cloud and SAP Marketing Cloud using SAP Cloud Platform Extension Factory (XF)?
For the purpose of this walk-through, our example application flow would be;
- SAP Commerce generates an event (review.created) when a customer leaves a review for a product
- Lambda running under Kyma runtime executes on (review.created) event which receives the customer, order, and reviews details in the event payload
- Lambda processes the payload and sends review text to third party sentiment analysis service
- Sentiment results received from third party service are sent to SAP Marketing Cloud for targeted campaigns and other forms of marketing
You can use SAP C/4HANA Foundation, together with open-source project “Kyma” as infrastructure, to extend SAP C/4HANA products and third-party products. These components provide a Kubernetes-based environment to build, run, and host cloud-native, event-based extensions. The overall process is as follows:
1. Bring your cloud provider access credentials
The extensibility concept for SAP C/4HANA is based on the “Bring Your Own License” (BYOL) model for “Kyma” runtimes. In this model, you provide access credentials for your subscription from either Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure. These credentials are then used to provide the runtime in your cloud provider subscription. In our case, our Kyma (Kubernetes cluster) runtime is provisioned and hosted on Google Cloud Platform.
2. Provision a runtime
A runtime is a Kubernetes cluster on which “Kyma” is installed and configured to provide the environment for developing and running your extensions.
3. Register SAP C/4HANA products with "Kyma" runtimes
Establish a secure connection between your runtime and the SAP C/4HANA product you’re extending. This involves registering the product, copying a token from the runtime, and then making the token available in the SAP C/4HANA product. The result is that all services and events exposed by the product are propagated to the runtime. In our case, we will connect our runtime with both SAP Commerce Cloud and SAP Marketing Cloud.